Uganda authority said a rescue operation was called off on Monday after 13 bodies were recovered from a building that collapsed over the weekend in Kampala.
“We do not expect any other survivors…” Maureen Nabuduwa from the Red Cross said, adding that four people were rescued from the rubble.
Police spokesperson Luke Oweyisigire said “we think that the structure had over 20 workers who were working and sleeping there.”
Oweyisigire said that an investigation had been launched to find out why the three-storey building collapsed in the city’s southern suburb of Makindye.
Local newspaper the Daily Monitor reported that authorities had halted work on the building in March because of defects and inadequate plans.
The workers had been staying on site because of lockdown restrictions due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the paper said. (dpa/NAN)